recently I’ve started to have a load of problems with my Nokia X6, mostly around the battery just getting totally wiped by something pushing/pulling data constantly. I’ve had a whole host of apps on it and so I guess there could be some remnant of an app thats still fighting. I’m possibly thinking whatsapp.com, Mail for Exchange, or Nokia Messaging… Anyway, it got to the point where I just thought… fuck it, I’m wiping this device. Then I came across a problem.
As it’s an Ovi Music device and I’ve had it for about 6 months now, it’s loaded with music to the tune (do you see what I did there) of 17GB. What to do then, about keeping this music, including all its DRM strapped-ness and not having to go though the laborious process of ‘re-licensing’ each and every track.
One of my mates Jon recommended trying PC Suite to run a back up of the info. So, that’s what I did.
I’ve only backed up the music files and it took a good 30mins or so to create the backup itself. Then I formatted the handset (Hard reset with *#7370#).
Seeing as the X6 has UDP (User Data Preservation), when I went back into the Music directory, all the tracks were still there… but as expected… none would play without going to the store to get the license (that’s a whole other blog post about Music Store, right there tho)
Next step, restore the backup. First off, I connected the handset in PC Suite mode and started the backup. About 30 seconds later, job done.
Not done at all. It had zoomed though the progress bar and gone to 100% but the report just read ‘no data transferred’.
Strange, tried it again and the same result. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo! All that music…. gone.
Then I thought, let’s try a different connection mode. In Mass Transfer mode, it’s a different story and if you end up in this boat of needing to restore music licenses on your Nokia, that’s the one you need.
First time of running it, it took a bit longer but then came back with an error about there not being enough space and the phone memory being used also. When I checked the handset, it seemed things still weren’t quite right and the music still wasn’t on. I decided to connect to the phones mass memory via computer and erase the music downloads directory contents. Now, I really do have a device with no Ovi Store DRM’d music on or any reference to it.
Second time of running then in this mode and things have started to look a whole lot better.
Currently, the transfer of data is going back to the phone. Sending data back to the phone though is a much longer process than taking it off, and after about one hour its only at 20%. So, in actual fact, I don’t know if this is really going to work. I’ll let you know 😉
(image courtesy of http://www.shesthegeek.co.za)